Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fools of us All - Chapter 50

SPIN

I couldn’t see her face, but I could tell from how her shoulders slumped that Caz was relieved about something. “What’s up?” I asked as we strolled around the side of the building. When we were hidden in the shadows, she removed her helmet.

“Didn’t you recongise that guy?” she hissed.

I glanced around but couldn’t see him anymore, so I shrugged.

“That was the general’s aide.”

“Which general?”

“The one that captured me when we first got back.” She wiped her brow and then put her helmet back on.

“Oh right. The guy I smacked in the face. Hey, if his aide is here, do you think the general would be too?”

Her helmet bobbed up and down in the dim light. We slunk over to a nearby window and peered inside. The general was sitting at a desk, reading over some papers. He glanced towards us, revealing the remnants of a nasty bruise around his eye and cheek, a bruise that closely resembled the butt end of the gun I had hit him with.

The door behind him opened and the aide returned, flicking a cigarette butt into the night. As they began to talk, I couldn’t help but wonder if the fear that had seemed to flash across the general’s face was real, or just a trick of the light.

No comments: