Monday, December 29, 2008

Fools of us All - Chapter 21

“There’s my girl!” A giant of a man strode across the room, lifting me into the air, swinging me around in dizzying circles.

“Daddy?” This seemed wrong somehow.

“You are getting so big,” he said, holding me easily in his muscled arms. “Soon I won’t be able to lift you anymore.”

I buried my head against his neck beneath his head, inhaling his musky scent, the aroma of Old Spice mixed with construction sites. He had smelled that way for as long as I could remember. Tears began to stream down my face.

“I know, dear. I miss him too.” My mom held me close, her own tears running down her face to drip onto my cheeks, mingling with my own.

I jerked back, looking at her. “No. I just saw him.” I could not believe what I was seeing. “He can’t be dead.” I stared into her eyes, seeing the pain and sorrow that was there. Stumbling back, I turned and ran out of the bedroom.

The sound of my feet slapping against the pavement echoed loudly in the night. My apartment was no longer mine. I was living on the street, running for my life from my attackers. Three men had surprised me as I tried to sleep in an alley, and I had only barely managed to get away. Their voices came from further away with every step. I ducked into another alley, running a meandering path through the streets until I found myself completely alone. I sat down, hugging my knees to my chest. I wanted to sleep, but was too frightened. What had my life become?

Dun put his hand on my shoulder, rousing me from my nap. The room was familiar, full of computer screens. Dar sat in the corner at his desk. He smiled at me and gave a small wave before turning back to his work. I looked up at Dun, and could only shudder. Why was this place not more comfortable? This was my home.

Without warning, everything started to fade into darkness. A darkness that threatened to engulf me completely.

No comments: