Monday, January 12, 2009

Fools of us All - Chapter 23

I awoke with a start, looking around me with panicked eyes. It had been a dream, almost a haunting of scenes from my life thus far. Suppressing a shudder, I rose to my feet, stretching my aching muscles. “Spin,” I whispered, looking for the young man who had become my companion. The room was abandoned, though, so I slipped through the door into the burnt out portion of the building. In the dark of night it was even creepier than in the gloom of early evening. An indistinct voice sounded from outside, followed by the scraping of a boot against the tile floor of the entrance.

My heart began to beat faster and I crouched behind the burnt out husk of a desk, slipping out one of my purloined weapons, readying for battle. I could tell there were two people, both trying to walk quietly and utterly failing. I waited as long as I could, holding back until I knew I had a clear shot that I could not miss. Springing to my feet with a yell, I pulled the trigger, sending two shots hurtling through the air.


Spin froze, looking at the spot in the wall which was now sporting twin holes mere inches apart, and even closer to his head. He turned towards me, his face hidden in the shadows of the night. “Why…?” was all he managed.


I lowered my gun, a sour expression on my face. “Don’t sneak up on me like that,” I said. “You are lucky that I recognised your silhouette in time to change my aim.” Pointing with my weapon, I then asked “who is this?”


“Let’s get some light and I will explain everything.” Spin pushed the shadowy figure past me, towards the room where we had been sleeping. Ten minutes later, we had a small fire going, along with more questions that had no answers.

No comments: