Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Fools of us All - Chapter 55

Caz

“Don’t get used to this,” I muttered as the door swung shut behind us. The building was dark inside, the only illumination coming from some open doors. A low murmur of voices could be heard throughout. “We need to find an empty room,” I whispered. We crept down the hall to the first room. I peeked around the corner for a split second. Turning to Spin, I leaned forward. “There are people in here without helmets,” I whispered. “Give me my gun back and act like we are here on business.” I grabbed the weapon he held out and holstered it, indicating he should do the same. “And give me the papers.” Once I had them, I turned and walked briskly into the room, studying the papers as I did.

“Excuse me,” came a voice. I looked up, acting surprised to see anyone there. “Can I help you?” asked a stern looking woman.

“Sorry,” I said, trying to look confused. “I was told that the first room on the left would be empty and I could use it. I have some work to do,” I finished vaguely, indicating my papers.

The woman relaxed. “Amazing how poorly the communication department communicates, isn’t it,” she said with a tired grin. “The room at the end of the hall should be free,” she continued after checking a paper in her hand. “Try not to be too long.”

I nodded politely and left the room, trying not to run. I nodded at Spin who followed without saying a word. We got to the empty room and I sat down. “Stand guard,” I said as I began to turn on machines. As everything began to hum, I glanced through the papers, feeling sick as I did. These papers proved what I had feared. There were no aliens. The supposed attacks had been faked in an effort to scare people into giving more power to the military, leading to fewer rights and freedoms. This was nothing but a power play.

Fortunately, the news was still willing to print anything that was sensational, and this would be the most sensational thing they had ever seen. As soon as the computers I needed were running, I scanned the pages as fast as I could. Within minutes, the entire contents of the papers were sent to every news agency I could think of. The truth would be told.

“You ready to go,” I said to Spin as I shut the machines down again.

“I think I want to stay,” he replied, a slight quaver in his voice.

“Why would you want to do that?” I asked as I turned around.

“Because the woman with the gun against my face asked me to.”

I sighed and tossed her my gun, raising my eyebrows at Spin, who could only shrug and look apologetic.

No comments: