Monday, July 20, 2009

Fools of us All - Chapter 43

CAZ

Drip

Drip
Drip

I could hear dripping nearby. Water splashed close to my head with a regular rhythm. For a long time, nothing else existed in my world - just darkness and the sound of water hitting the ground.

Drip
Drip
Drip

Slowly, other sensations began to thrust themselves upon me, but I fought them back. The water had hypnotized me, promising to ease my pain. I felt nothing. There was only the falling water.

Drip
Drip
Drip

A stab of pain distracted me for a moment. I could feel that my leg was moving, but I had no actual sensation from the lower limb beyond a thin line of pain. My knee twitched violently, jarring loose a memory of crushing injury. The artificiality of my own leg imposed itself upon my senses. Someone in the darkness moaned loudly.

Drip
Drip
Drip

I tried to regain the comfort of the regular sound, but more intrusions were making their presences known on my consciousness. A white hot pain burned my shoulder. A muffled sob echoed off of the walls. My leg twitched hard enough to bang awkwardly off of the cold floor. I flexed my arms, gasping at the soreness I found.

Drip
Drip
Drip

It was the overwhelming sorrow that finally roused me. I could not remember why, but it felt like my entire life was meaningless. It was only then that I realised the moaning and crying I had been hearing was my own. My eyes flew open and I screamed, a sound of pure animalistic rage. The sound echoed off of the round walls of the dimly perceived tunnels, continuing around itself without end. Tears streamed down my face as I yelled, again and again.

When the sound finally abated, I found myself emptied of everything. Suddenly, keeping my eyelids open seemed to be a wasted effort. With a final, raspy sob, I sank back to the ground and closed my eyes, surrendering to the darkness and the peace I found there.

Drip
Drip
Drip

No comments: