Monday, August 4, 2008

Fools of us All - Chapter 4

We arrived at the hospital fifteen minutes later. I slid to a halt in the emergency lane, jumping out even as the car rocked on its springs. “Wait here,” I shouted over my shoulder at Cindy as I ran into the building to get help. Minutes later two pairs of nurses were following me to my car, each pair pushing a bed. Moving quickly and efficiently they had the two injured parties on the gurneys and were taking them back inside, already examining them as they went. Cindy and I followed as far as they would allow us. We stood helplessly for a moment, unsure of what to do.

“Oh my, look at you two.” A friendly, motherly sounding voice came from the left. We turned to see a smiling, matronly doctor standing nearby. “Come here and let me look at your wounds.”

Still in a half daze, I moved my hand to my head and noticed for the first time that I was bleeding. I glanced at Cindy and saw that she had a few scrapes of her own. Meekly we submitted to being prodded and examined until the doctor gave us a clean bill of health. “That’s an amazing story,” she said after we had explained everything that had occurred. “You take care now. After something like that you’ll want some rest.”

“When can we see Gerry?” Cindy was physically okay, but she had been shaken up rather badly by the experience. “Is he going to be okay?”

Talking soothingly to Cindy, the doctor led us back to waiting room, promising to check on Gerry and let us know. After she left I sat for a while with Cindy until she fell asleep, using her jacket as a blanket.

Suddenly unable to sit still any longer I stood up and went for a walk. I prowled around, finding a cafeteria. I did not feel hungry, though, just restless, so I continued to wander, eventually finding myself sitting in a stairwell. Nervously I pulled out the orb that I had taken from the mystery woman. It had stopped glowing, but it was still slightly warm. About the size of a softball, it seemed to be made out of smoky glass, leaving it opaque, as though its secrets were locked just beneath the surface. It was extremely smooth, completely devoid of any nicks or gouges. And though it may have been about the size of a softball, it was considerably heavier. I peered closely at the object, wondering what its significance was.

A scuffing noise above me startled me and I realised as I put the orb back in my pocket that I had been hunched over, my nose practically touching it. I looked up and saw someone’s hand on the railing a few stories above my head. Not wanting to be found here and questioned, I quickly exited the stairwell and found my way back to the waiting room.

Cindy was still asleep. I envied her for that.

No comments: