Monday, January 4, 2010

Fools of us All - Chapter 56

Spin

I have watched many movies, and they never talk about the pain of having a gun pressed against the face. It hurts! I could feel the cold metal digging into my cheek, possibly cutting the skin. I was not particularly pleased with this arrangement.

“Come out of the room, slowly,” said the woman who was holding me hostage. She was the same one who had told us which room to use. I don’t know why she had suddenly attacked us, and I wasn’t sure that it mattered at this point. I just hoped she wasn’t prone to spasms, especially of the hands.

Caz scowled at me as she walked past, into the hallway. All I could do was shrug almost imperceptibly. I had been distracted by taking off my helmet and hadn’t noticed the woman sneaking up on me until she had the gun pressed against my face. I knew it was my fault.

We started walking down the hallway, heading back to the first room. She was now behind both of us, the gun pressed squarely against my back. Maybe she was afraid that she would miss if she kept it any further away.

“What are you going to do with us?” asked Caz, casually.

“Shut up,” replied the woman. For good measure, she jabbed me in the kidney.

“Okay,” said Caz with a shrug. I studied the back of her head intensely, wondering what she was thinking. And then it disappeared. The next thing I knew, I was sprawled out on the ground, my knee throbbing from where I had banged it on the floor, my ears ringing from the sound of the shot that had just missed my ear.

I glanced up at the woman and understanding hit me like a pie in the face. Caz had fallen, making it look like she tripped, causing me to stumble, and had used that distraction to attack the woman. Now they were struggling for control of the weapon.

Wanting to help, I started to rise, only to be distracted by a shout from the doorway of the only room with a light. A guy stepped out, his weapon already drawn. He was focussed on the ladies fighting and didn’t notice me at first. I used those brief seconds to decide that I was just close enough. With a yell I darted forward, hitting him squarely in the gut. His breath exited his body with a whoosh, and our momentum carried us into bank of computers. Sparks flew as he sank to the floor.

There was another man sitting at a computer terminal. I grabbed the downed man’s gun and fired a blast into the computer, leaving it a smoking crater. “You try anything, I may have to shoot you,” I said, trying to sound intimidating. It must have worked because he nodded and pushed his chair back.

I looked out into the hall and was happy to see Caz standing triumphantly over her foe. We had managed to turn the tables quite handily. Now if only there were a way to get out here.

No comments: